Question
Posted by: Adrien Naude | 2018/02/17

Intense burning sensation when urination at night

My wife is 56 years old she is approximately 1.8m high and weighs 87kg. She struggles to urinate, small amounts at a time. Often spending 10 to 15 minutes on the toilet. She urinates like this mostly at night. She experiences no burning sensation in her urithra or tract from the bladder during urination, howevever experiences an intense burning sensation in her lower back all the time, from the position she indicates this appears to be below the kidneys and not from the position indicated on illustrations where the kidneys are located. We have done some searching on the net and one thing that comes up is that a persons bladder sometimes goes into spasm, is it possible that this is what is happening to my wife, the reason we are asking is because in her sleep she starts intense streching. in the morning her back seems worse than before. Thank you very much. Kind regards Adrien

- 2018/02/25

Hi Adrien

Yes, it can be that your wife has an overactive bladder and this can cause the frequent urination and possibly the pain. It would be better to have her urine tested for infection as one can have a urinary tract infection without pain. Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.