Question
Posted by: | 2020/01/09

Is it possible to be healthy with an unhealthy lifestyle

Unhealthy lifestyle, yet perfectly healthy, how is that possible? I had a medical checkup and I just received results from blood tests and I have everything in normal levels: blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar etc. It is so interesting. Because I had almost no exercise last 7 years. I don't almost eat vegetables and fruits and I eat an extreme amount of sweets. I must have some days even like 200g of sugar, when rda is 40g and i drink sweet beverages... I am 24 179/110, i had problems with overweight before, but i didn't always weigh that much, only 80. I guess i am healthy, because i am young and i have good health, i am not ill almost ever. When i said i am perfectly healthy, well at least what concerns most important areas. And i don't know how precise these tests are, i assume my doctor isn't stupid. And i have no serious issues. But i have various issues, because of sugar: 1. i am always hungry 2. i have acne 3. my stomach hurts often 4. i am moody 5. it takes me long time to fall asleep sometimes more than 1-2 hour 6. i have cavities 7. i have joint pain and what not... But again nothing serious, i am perfectly healthy otherwise. I would expect if i continue to live like this, it would manifest, after some time. Still it is strange, that my cholesterol and sugar and blood pressure is normal and there is not even a little spike in those values. Given i lived extremely unhealthy, but again i have good health i guess. Still it is interesting how is that possible.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2020/01/12

Blood results within nomal levels does not necessarily mean that you are healthy Research has showen that when people are diagnosed with diabetes (abnormal sugar) 50% of the beta cells in the pancreas already have been destroyed  You can have pre diabestes with normal sugar levels when sugar test abnormal you have hit the end of the road Heart disease also strech beyoung abnormal cholesterol levels It is well known that a high sugar intake controbute to inflammation of the arteries and also cause them to lose their elasticity This damage does not get measured You also mentioned a couple of symptoms that you suffer from that does not have to exist at all should you decided to adhere to a healthy lifestyle. A high sugar intake affect seretonin levels that control moods appetite sleeping and gut movement. Contact a dietiian www.adsa.org.za for her to design a eating plan that suits your lifestyle and food preferences