Question
Posted by: Reese | 2019/10/16

UTI - Medical or Psychological

Hi Doctor My 14 year old seem to have a reoccurring problem with the UTI, I am starting to wonder if it could psychological rather than a medical issue. The reason i say that is that this mostly happens around the exam time, I think she gets too nervous before and during the exams that its difficult to hold the pee when she is busy with the exams. They are not allowed to leave the room during exams and as such i think her focus get divided between writing the exams and the urge to pee. I am not sure how to help her, at some point i thought of buying her calmettes to see if they may not help, but i don't want her to be dependent on using pills to go through challenges. What options do i have?

- 2019/10/21

Hi Reese
It may be more psychological - you can consider taking her to a child psychologist for a session or two. They are great to get to the bottom of issues in kids - and they don't always tell us everything that is bothering them, probably because they think that we would not understand? I am talking from my own experience. And sometimes, it just helps the kids to speak, and that in itself is the solution. Urge her to drink lots of water and empty the bladder when it feels full. You can also discuss the situation with her teachers so that they understand her situation. Calmettes might help, but as you say, it is not going to address the real issue. Good luck and I hope that she gets better soon.