Question
Posted by: Smikzo | 2014/01/21

Trying to loose weight

I am on a high protein low carb diet ,my problem is Im always constipated but I know its because of not taking high fibre cereals, so if I only introduce high fibre cereal on my diet and still continue with this low carb diet ,will it not disturb the diet or cause me not to loose weight anymore ???? my second question is ,if you are on diet and you don't do number 2 because of constipation do you still loose weight or by not doing number 2 its slowing your process of loosing weight or is it all the same whether you do go or not you will still loose weight if you follow your diet??

- 2014/01/22

Dear Smikzo

As you have probably noticed, I am not in favour of the high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diets because of these side-effects such as constipation which can be particularly severe. The initial good weightloss that most people experience with these Atkins-type diets, is caused by loss of water and the appetite suppressing effects of the slight nausea associated with ketosis. You will probably not stop losing weight if you eat a high-fibre carbohydrate with a low-GI like high-fibre bran or boiled, dried fruit which are both excellent ways of stimulating your sluggish bowel movements. Constipation per se probably does not cause weight gain, but that is the least of your problems. If your constipation becomes too severe you may develop bowel impaction or piles due to straining - both conditions that may need medical intervention. So please do start using a high-fibre breakfast cereal to prevent constipation and consider changing to a more balanced slimming diet in the long run.

Take care

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/23

Dear Doc Will eating according to my blood type. help me lose weight?