Question
Posted by: Sasha | 2020/01/31

Third consecutive bout of giardiasis despite Flagyl treatment

The first time my GP prescribed Flagyl 250 mg, 3x day for 10 days. The medication worked great within a few days and my chronic profuse diarrhea which lasted more than a month lessened and disappeared. I had to go to the ER as a result. A month later, I got it again, test positive with same symptoms. Med changed to 500 mg, 3x day for 7 days. Both times probiotics were also used. One week after last dose, it came back. How do I prevent re-infection and kill these parasites should they be in the house or on clothes? I understand the best treatment is Mepacrine (quinacrine) atabrine. But it's not available in Canada or the USA. Is it available in Taiwan? Also, what is likelihood of having permanent lactose intolerance as a result of medication?

- 2020/02/05

Hi Sasha
I agree that it is time for more intense treatment, but I am not sure of the treatment regimes in different countries. Have the doctors tested for any other types of parasites yet, because it might be a combination of different parasites? Yes, you can definitely develop lactose intolerance after the infection - not because of the treatment, but because of the damage done by the parasite. Try and avoid dairy products for a few weeks and see if your symptoms improve. Good luck and I hope