Question
Posted by: CC | 2019/02/21

Bronchitis caused stabbing pains in both arms

Terrible cough from bronchitis that caused stabbing pains in both arms during bad coughing fits. Days later I found bruises on my arms not associated with the trauma of any sort. Arms are still sore and slightly swollen. I have had total spinal fusion and have 3 rods and 37 screws in my spine. Not sure if that is related but this is the first time I have been really sick since the surgery two years ago.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/02/26

Severe coughing can cause strain and tearing of the intercostal muscles, could have strained your back, and if it occurs at night it could explain the bruising on your arms.

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2019/02/25

I have had that too, from Bronchitis. Was told that it was nerves that got swollen from coughing too much, fits of coughing, almost choking. Needed 2 rounds of antibiotic and a nebulizer. All better now. No coughing = no nerve pain.