Question
Posted by: Saddened by life | 2018/02/21

Stressed

Hi there I run a paraffin business and we (my husband and i) are finding that we are just not coping. Our expenses are so high and 2 of our so called friends have opened up in opposition to us. We are finding that absolutely everything is going wrong in our lives and i just cant pay bills anymore. I don't want my two son's to see that we are battling but we are also not spending at all. Money just not there to spend. I just need advice, i feel like nothing is worth it anymore. I have defaulted on my car payment and at the end of this month month i will be defaulting on a lot more than that. I know that this is just a bump in the road and that things always turn out good in the end, but i am starting to feel like that is so not true. My skin broke up into a huge rash a few years ago and i went to see a dermatologist who said that it is caused by stress. I am finding that i am getting deeper and deeper depressed and i really don't know how to cope. Is there a mild medication that i can get over the counter or should i maybe ask my GP for something to help me deal with life at the moment. About 2 years ago i started smoking a joint in the evening before bed just to help me sleep. It seems to be one of the only things that gets my mind off the mess around me but it is not something i wish to smoke all day long. I have also got a driver working for me that had ran up my supplier account so high that i have to role the account. We have chosen not to tel him go or to lay criminal charges against him as he has promised to pay it all back. This is becoming the one thing that is always on my mind. I am finding that i am becoming very snappy with other people for no reason at all. help

- 2018/02/22

Hi SBL,
Well, it entirely understandable that you feel stressed in the situation you describe. Sounds like the main advice you need, urgently, is financial advice, and your bank should be able to provide this ( I'm a financial idiot, so I wouldn't are advise on that area ). They may also be able to comment usefully on your general business plan, which sounds as though it could be much less realistic than you expected. 
I'm puzzled by what you say about a driver whose wrong-doing has apparently cost you a great deal.  what makes you so sure that you can rely on his promises to pay back all that he owes ?  Is his work actually worth a great deal to you ? Paying back would presumably just be giving you back a portion of the salary you pay him, so might not be entirely satisfactory. What guarantee do you have ? What if he finds a job elsewhere, and just disappears, leaving his debt behind him ? 
Officially it would not be recommendable, but a small amount of pot in the evening, if it has not caused you adverse reactions so far, would probably not make further problems. But smoking it more than that little, is often associated with a marked loss of motivation, and could worsen your situation.
I haven't found anything available over the counter which would be helpful ; many of those on offer contain old antihistamines and other sedatives, which, like the usual and inadvisable benzo tranquilizers too many GPs give out too easily, both ca be habit-forming, and reduce your ability to concentrate, something you really need to keep intact.
Check whether there is any source of free counselling, such as the psych department of your nearest medical school, as this could enable you to learn how to cope with stress and anxiety with your own resources.