Question
Posted by: Sophie | 2020/07/16

Strange combo of symptoms - possible STI?

I've got a strange combo of symptoms. I've been tested for heaps of things and nothing has come back abnormal that explains these symptoms - so thought I'd ask here. My symptoms are: - general physical fatigue/lethargy - stingy/itchy eyes, feels like something's in them most of the time - occasional sore lymph nodes in neck and groin, mild stabbing pain - itchy vagina and cuts occasionally - back ache around kidneys and similar ache on both sides of abdomen, occasionally - weird horizontal lines on index finger and thumb on one hand (only significant because my ex had these and said it was just skin problems) I'm pretty convinced that it's something contagious - maybe an STI - because I didn't have any of these symptoms before having unprotected sex with my ex. I was also sick with a flu-type thing about a week after having unprotected sex with him. I've been tested for every STI you can think of (including HIV, syphilis, HSV, etc.). Only thing that has back positive was HPV (no cancerous cells). Apparently there were also markers of inflammation when they did a swab of my cervix so they put me on antibiotics - metronidazole. My symptoms didn't improve after being on antibiotics but they didn't do another swab, so not sure about what that did to the inflammatory markers. It has now been 6 months since I last had sex. My health was fine before this. I have a lot of autoimmune disease in the family (Chron's Disease, coeliac disease, type 1 diabetes, etc.), but have never been diagnosed with anything myself. Other full blood test results were also normal initially (1 month after the initial flu). I was then retested 4 months after the initial flu and the only thing that was high was S ALT (39, normal range 5-30, was 16 at first blood test) and S AST (45, normal range 10-35, was 21 for first blood test). My doctor didn't mention these so I assume they're not significant - but thought I'd mention here anyway. That's all I have! Any thoughts???

- 2020/07/16

Apart from the itchy vagina, none of this sounds like a gynae problem. HPV would not cause these symptoms. A raised AST and ALT are signs of liver disease, but these are only very slightly raised. I'm afraid I can't really help. Perhaps see a physician, particularly with the background of autoimmune illnesses.