Question
Posted by: Rayna | 2020/07/14

Stomach Ulcer, shoulder and chest pain

Hi Dr Heidi Can you please explain and advise. When my stomach ulcer acts out, I usually have a gnawing feeling at the top of my stomach. Why however do I also get shoulder and chest pain along with it? How will I know the difference between cardiac and gastric issues? Heart disease does run in my family, but I am pretty sure the pain symptoms I have now are due to my ulcer. Thank you.

- 2020/07/27

Hi Rayna

The shoulder and chest pain that you experience is also known as 'referred pain'. Some organs are supplied by the same set of nerves, and when, for example, you experience pain in the stomach due to the ulcer, you can also experience pain in the shoulders and chest. I would, however, urge you to have tests done to make sure that your cardiovascular system is functioning well, especially because you have heart disease in the family. Good luck.