Posted by: Issa | 2018/12/17

Stingy father

My father is financially sound but choosing a cheap medical aid. The medical aid doesn't cover much. My mother needs to undergo a foot operation and has digestive issues but their medical aid won't pay for the specialist. We are at our wits end as our father is well off we can't afford to carry the costs. How do we address this issue as he is becoming a miser in his old age. We are trying to get them to upgrade but he's changed nothing we are scared if anything happens we don't have enough  money to pay for their care how do we talk to him to resolve this please we are stressed

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2018/12/19

Hello Issa,
I wonder what other readers think about this, and how they would respond.  Alas, Adults are legally free to be daft, and to act stupidly.  Except in the rare situation where they are consistently acting so as to be a real risk to themselves or others ( when a lawyer could advise there are ways to arrange for a compulsory assessment and even treatment )  there's nothing much one can do other than try hard to persuade them. 
Some people are rich and mean : some just because that's their personality to start with, some because they used to be really poor, and being very cautious about spending, for fear of becoming poor again, may dominate their way of thinking.
Rather than arguing directly on the issue of upgrading his level of medical aid protection, chat about your concerns, for yourself and your own family, and for your parents, about the awful cost of medical care, even for quite minor conditions, and how common serious illnesses which could happen to any of us at any time, can be catastrophically expensive, and why you have decided, for yourselves, to get the best level of medical aid coverage you can afford, to avoid being ruined by impossible expenses at a time of serious illness.  Point out that you're concerned about your parents, because you frankly could not afford to pay their expenses if anything like that happened to them.  And ask his advice on how they are planning to deal with such an emergency when it happens,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.