Posted by: Lara | 2014/06/24

Stabbing pain in ribs

Good day. I have been from one doctor to another. I had a breast augmentation done in November 2013. One week after my surgery I have been struggling with a stabbing pain in my ribs right under my left and right breast. According to a specialist physician it is exactly where my scar is after breast augmentation. The pain is specific and when I press on the area it also hurts. It feels like someone stabbing me in the ribs with a knife. The problem never occurs during the day when doing normal activities. I do not exercise so I can't strain it further or think that it is due to an injury. I have been for x-rays and ultra sounds but nothing can be picked up. I've been to my gp and also a surgeon who removed two cists, one in each breast but this did not resolve the problem. According to the x-rays there is no fracture or any other problem with my ribs and it also states that my lungs appear normal. I have used a lot of different anti-inflammatory medication but this does not help at all. EG : Celebrex, OxyContan etc. I don't know where to go from here. I only have pain in one certain area and it is not at all over the whole rib cage. So it is a specific pain. Please help me as I am totally lost. And it is exactly the same place on both sides.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc
- 2014/06/25

Dear Lara

I can understand that you feel lost. It is very difficult to give an opinion in this case without having examined the area, but I cannot help to wonder if the intercostal nerves (the nerves in between the ribs) are being pinched or inflamed. Whether this is due to the surgery or swelling of the tissue in the area is difficult to say. One would also not be able to see this on xray. One would have thought that anti-inflammatory medication would have helped though. All I can suggest is physiotherapy, they use different treatments to help with pain and inflammation. Good luck.


The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.