Question
Posted by: | 2018/06/22

Sperms

sir, I am worried about 1 thing. I m 29yrs old ummarried boy. I am working in day time have hot/warm water in toilets. I use this water for cleaning penis and testicles. Do this kill sperm? Can it make me infertile for future? On internet many says it kill sperms. Kindly guide me i am worried. Thank you

- 2018/07/06

Dear Anonymous,

A-    The testicles are located in the scrotal sac which hangs outside of the male’s body. This is to ensure that they are maintained at a temperature 2-3 degrees lower than that of body temperature. It is true that high temperatures may affect spermiogenesis, however the level of temperature and the duration of exposure does also play a role. It is for this reason that men are advised to avoid having very hot showers, steam baths, saunas, hot tubs etc for prolonged periods. They are also advised to avoid wearing too tight underwear which will increase the scrotal temperature by causing it to be drawn up towards the body.

Answered by Dr Tasneem Mohamed