Question
Posted by: Leoni Watson | 2018/01/23

Spasms in diaphrahm?

The last year I have been awoken by severe pain in the area of my diaphragm. Recently it has increased to every single morning around 5am. It feels like a cramp and I struggle to breathe. I cannot lay down with the pain, nor sit, so I "walk it out". It dissipates after about 5-30 min. Sometimes it's so severe I cannot breathe or talk. When I get those severe cramps, it feels like my diaphragm is tight throughout the whole day. I have a hernia (not hiatus but cant remember what kind) but very small. I was diagnosed with stomach ulcer/s a couple of years ago (about 6 years), but it hasn't given me much problems since it got treated. I dont suffer from heartburn or indigestion at all as far as I am aware. However, I have been experiencing a lot of stress at work and at home. I also moved to a different town a year ago with a different job (where I am very very unhappy - move was a big mistake - so causing a lot of stress for me) and obviously different doctor (small town). I suffer from asthma due to allergies and my new doctor prescribed the Berotec inhaler (I used to use venteze for emergencies - I use Foxair for prevention), so Ive been using the Berotec inhaler for a year now and these cramps have been occurring for a year. Is it possible it's the inhaler or has my hernia or stomach ulcer starting acting up again? I am unfortunately a smoker and wish there was a quick and easy way to quit. I have been diagnosed also with MDD after my divorce and have been suffering for about 5 years now. Used to take venlor until it became too expensive, then exsira and lately brentellin (or something like that), because it's cheaper. I also take statins for my hereditary cholesterol problem. The pain is definitely in the area of my diaphragm and it feels like a cramp. It lets up after awhile and depending on the severity of the cramp/spasm, I will suffer with a dull pain throughout the day. I dont have a medical aid (single mother, crappy job) and I cannot afford expensive operations and treatments. I really hope this is something that can be treated at minimal cost. Thank you.

- 2018/01/23

Hi Leoni

It is very possible that you are experiencing a cramp in the diaphragm - but it also sounds as if you have a lot of stress and anxiety (understandably so) and I wonder if this is not contributing to the pain. The other possibility is that the stomach ulcer have started again - due to the stress that you are experiencing. I suggest that you take medication and see if it helps, such as lansoloc otc (you can buy this over the counter). If it does not help, then you will have to go back to the doctor. Good luck and I hope that you will feel better soon and that 2018 will be a better year for you.