Question
Posted by: Lize | 2018/09/25

South African food labels

Hi! I was looking everywhere for this online, but I can’t find sufficient info on it. Are the carbohydrates shown on South African food labels total carbs or netto carbs (net carbs = total carbs - fibre)? In the UK, they display net carbs, but in the US, total carbs before fibre is displayed. Does anyone know what the case is in SA? Thank you!

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/10/10

Good day

South Africa's labelling system is the same as the UK. The fibre has already been subtracted from the carbohydrate amount shown on the label, so yes in South Africa they display NET carbohydrate not total carbohydrate.