Question
Posted by: | 2019/12/26

Something bit or stung my right leg, do I need to see a doctor?

3 days ago I woke up with what I thought was a mosquito bite it was a small red itchy bump. Now it has flattened and grew to a large red blotch about 2"x4" and a little hard when I touch it. I put some papaya on it and it took the itch away. I live in Hawaii and my doctor is on vacation until Jan 4th.. do I need to go to urgent care?

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2020/02/06

Mosquito bites can cause large localised lesions with redness and blistering. This is sometimes called Skeeter's Syndrome. Mosquito bites are generally not known to induce anaphylaxis, but can cause a great deal of localised itching. A strong antihistamine tablet and application of topical hydrocortisone  should solve the problem. Occasionally if you scratch and infect the mosquito bite, a secondary skin bacterial infection and cellulitis may develop and then you may need oral antibiotics.