Question
Posted by: charlene | 2019/08/13

Snacking Problem

Hi, I am 30 years old and weigh over 86 KG. I am trying to lose weight by brisk walking for 30 minutes at least 3 * a week. I am eating healthy for example: Breakfast – Weetbix or All bran with 20 % of milk and 80% of water Lunch / supper – veggies, brown basmati rice and protein My problem is my cravings for sweet things like coffee, chocolates and cakes. I am so sleepy and tired all the time that I need the sugar for energy and to keep me awake. I get +-5 hours of sleep a night. The worst is that I cant seem to stop snacking on junk all the time as I am hungry all the time. What can I do to lose the weight and stop eating unhealthily.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/08/17

Hi Charlene, thank you for your question. Well done for starting your healthy lifestyle journey and making positive changes. A few recommendations:
- often when one feels hungry, one is often just thirsty or dehydrated. Makes sure to be drinking 8-10 glasses of water daily to avoid mistaking thirst, for hunger.
- vegetables contain fibre and water which really help to increase fullness and satiety without carrying high kilojoule values. Make sure to eat 3-5 cups of vegetables daily across lunch, dinner and snacks. On cold days, homemade vegetable soups in between meals can be a great option to reduce hunger.
- focus on improving sleep quality by setting better sleep routines before bed. Avoid eating, work and screen time (phone/TV/laptop)  1-2 hours before bed time
- regular routine and eating at structured meal times will help to stabilize blood sugar levels to avoid slumps during the day. High sugar foods are not necessary for energy, in fact they will have a rollercoaster effect on your blood sugar levels which will leave you feeling even more lethargic and sluggish after the highs and lows.

Research shows that successful lifestyle interventions for the long term, need to be individualized and personalized based on your unique requirements. A Registered Dietitian is a trained expert who will work with you to help you to achieve your goals based on your personal preferences, your lifestyle and your health requirements. Click here: http://www.adsa.org.za/Public/FindARegisteredDietitian.aspx to find a dietitian in your area who can help you on this journey.