Question
Posted by: Julie | 2018/09/27

Smoking inside pubs

I'm very disturbed by the amount of pubs who allow smoking inside. The non-smokers have to walk through the smoking section in order to get to the enclosed non-smoking section. Is this legal and if not what can I do to report it? 

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert
- 2018/09/29

It's currently only legal to allow smoking in a designated enclosed area. Non-smokers shouldn't be exposed to second-hand smoke at all. 

To take action when you see the regulations being ignored: 

Complain to the owner or manager. If they won't/don't do anything about the problem, then report it to the Environmental Health Officer of the nearest local authority (e.g. City Council). If possible, get a photo that shows illegal smoking is taking place, which also identifies the venue.

Soon, the regulations will become stricter, and will likely ban smoking in pubs and restaurants entirely.