Question
Posted by: Marianne | 2019/05/30

Smoking and marijuana pregnancy

I smoked a few cigarettes, maybe ten a day before I knew I was pregnat - how will that affect my baby? Also I am smoking mj for nausea.

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice
- 2019/07/16

It depends how long into the pregnancy this was. The more you smoke and the longer you smoke during pregnancy, the greater the risk for health problems such as premature birth and low birth rate. But if you quit smoking once you found out you were pregnant, which I'm assuming was early on, then you have greatly reduced such risks. It's a good idea to tell your doctor you smoked early in your pregnancy, but I don't think this is great cause for concern. Remember to also protect yourself and your baby from exposure to secondhand smoke.

It's not a good idea to use marijuana (in any form, but smoking it is probably most risky) during pregnancy. Research into the effects are ongoing, but some studies have linked it to problems in newborns such as low birth weight, and developmental problems in children. Rather talk to your doctor about other options for reducing nausea; at the very least, consider cutting down on use.