Posted by: Jackie | 2014/01/20

Small hard white spot on upper eyelid

I have a small hard white spot on the upper eyelid of my right eye. It has been there for about 3 months. I have tried to squeeze it, but it's right in the edge and can't really get to it. it's not uncomfortable but because I know it is there it irritates me. It's not red or inflamed like a stye though. Will it dissappear by itself? How long should it take? Or should I go see a doctor - if so - which one - gp or optometrist. Thanks a lot.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc
- 2014/01/21

This sounds like a meibomian cyst (chalazion). This is cause by a blockage of the meibomian gland. Sometimes they can become infected and would need antibiotics. Most resolve spontaneously with in a few months, some take longer. If it does not resolve then some people choose to have them removed under local anesthetic. I would advise you to see your GP so they con confirm this and then you can decide either to wait and see if it resolves or see an opthalmologist for it to be removed. 

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.