Question
Posted by: Mike | 2019/09/15

Sever back pain

Hello Everyone, First off, I want to say thank you for spending the time to read this post. My girlfriend has been having some really bad back pain (towards the middle back). This pain is sudden and is not always present. She describes it as a ton of pressure with a stabbing feeling. It is so scary to see it. She winces in pain, cries and cannot move. We have gone to two different ERs and the first one said she had a bladder infection and maybe it went up to the kidneys, so they prescribed her antibiotics. They also did a CT scan on her chest to look for blood clots - none were found. The infection went away after 14 days but she still had the pain - it happens like once a day and would happen after eating. She would have to throw up for the back pain to go away. After the persistent pain, we went again to another ER room - we'll refer to it as ER number 2. They did more tests and said they didn't wanna do another CT scan because it had not even been a month, so they did a ultrasound and said they found stones in her gall bladder - they thought this was the cause. She was then referred to see a specialist. The specialist sat down, asked a few questions and said okay, those are symptoms of the gall bladder stones. The next day she was scheduled for surgery and the gall bladder was removed, but then they said "it was infected there was no stones". Four days post surgery, she woke up in the morning and woke me up as well. She was again wincing in pain and crying because the back paid had came back. I took her again to the hospital - this time it was the worst pain - worse than labor she said. She had the sever back pain and once we got to the hospital she wanted to throw up, but could not because her incisions from surgery were giving her more pain. So now it was a double edged sword. She had severe back pain, and now bad abdominal pain, because she mimicked vomiting - but did not vomit. She was fainting from the pain already and they finally took her in. Nurses did lab tests - blood, urine and a cat scan of the abdomen. Dr. said everything looked good and once again sent her home. I am writing this in desperate help to see if anyone has ever had this issue before and have been cured from it. Notes about her: all this happened in the time lapse of a month, she gave birth a little over a month ago, in her early 20s.

- 2019/09/18

Hi Mike
The pain that your girlfriend is experiencing sounds terrible, and there is something else going on. One tends to wonder if it does not have something to do with the pregnancy, mainly because it happened after she gave birth. When you are pregnant, your muscles and tendons become more 'relaxed', and this can cause pain in the back, especially when some of the tendons or muscles surrounding the spine and the spinal cord starts to weaken. So what I am saying is that I wonder if this could be related to a disc in one of the vertebral spaces being pinched, or bulging, or it could even be the diaphragm that could be having spasms - or even a hiatus hernia, being pinched by the diaphragm. All of these possibilities could cause severe pain. I suggest that you talk to her GP- or even  her gynae, and ask if they could consider investigating these options. Good luck and I hope that she feels better soon.