Question
Posted by: Rabia | 2020/08/14

Risky pregnancy enquiry

doctor, I just wanted to enquire about something for my mother. She is 3 weeks pregnant, however she's worried that her pregnancy would be very risky as she has already had 3 cesarean sections and perhaps due to those c-section deliveries, she had gotten an incisional hernia last year around june. She is also concerned that her age might also put her at risk as she is 40 years of age. So would it be safe for her to go forth with this pregnancy?

- 2020/08/18

There is an increased risk of Down syndrome in women over 40 years of age. There are tests that can be done to determine this during the pregnancy.

In terms of the 3 caesareans, she would need another caesarean in this pregnancy. The incisional hernia can probably be repaired at the same time. I would suggest that she sees a gynaecologist and  discussed all these issues with him/her.