Question
Posted by: KV | 2018/06/14

Restricted diet for gastritis?

I am a 34 year old woman. I was diagnosed with gastritis via gastroscopy in March. No H.Pylori, no ulcers. I don’t smoke or drink. I have gerd, ibs, depression and anxiety which are ongoing issues. My gastritis is now chronic (since February) and I am trying to determine what type of diet I should follow to help heal my stomach lining. I am currently taking trustan 40mg, welbutrin and Espiride to manage the above conditions. I have been in psychotherapy so I am trying to address this on all fronts. But the pain in my upper abdomen continues. What should/shouldn’t I eat? There seems to be wildly varied and contradictory information on the internet. Is a very restricted diet necessary or helpful? Can you advise what else I should try?

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/06/24

Dear KV, thank you for your query. There are a few general dietary guidelines that can assist with gastroesophageal reflux disease which include: avoiding large, high fat meals and opting for small, regular meals throughout the day, avoiding eating prior to lying down or going to sleep but instead remaining upright after meals, avoiding rigorous activity after eating, avoiding tight fitting clothing, optimising fibre intake and avoiding smoking, alcohol and caffeine. There are foods that can irritate the gut lining such as highly acidic or spicy foods and foods. Given that you are taking a number of medications and are trying to address more than one condition, it is recommended that you visit a registered dietitian for personalised nutrition advice that takes all of this into account.