Posted by: | 2017/12/11

Recurring anxiety/OCD

I've had fluctuating bouts of OCD and anxiety since 2006 and have seen multiple psychologists and psychiatrists during this time. I am currently on medication but the OCD symptoms have recently manifested again. My symptoms mostly involve counting and a need to consistently check/recheck everything I write - this means that my work is considerably slower than it should be. My job requires that I be at my desk all the time and is very, very fast-paced. It's only during periods of relapse that I cannot keep up, however. Would this level of impairment justify declaring my mental illness as a disability to my employer? I need to be able to take time off during the day to see my psychologist and I cannot do that if my employer doesn't know the reason. What level of proof would be necessary to complete this disclosure? I am embarrassed disclosing details of my OCD outside of my engagement with my psychologist.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink
- 2017/12/12

Sorry to hear that your OCD symptoms have not yet been brought under proper control : medication can help, as can CBT (Cognitive-Behavior Therapy ) : other old-fashioned forms of counselling are worthless in this situation.
Don't be embarrassed about seeing a psychologist for help with this fairly common and distressing condition: it's wise for you to do so, and deserves support and congratulations, not criticism or difficulties.
Have you discussed this with the HR person or group at your work ? Specific rules about how disabilities and illnesses are dealt with vary between companies, but my understanding is that they are not allowed to discriminate against people based on their illnesses and disabilities, and should assist them to receive needed treatment.  Check on what HR can tell you about local and company policy and the legal responsibilities of the employer

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.