Question
Posted by: | 2020/07/03

Rectal foreign body

I keep thinking there is a foreign body in my anus or rectum and I can’t remember if I put it in my anus. if there actually was a foreign body in my anus or rectum would I feel anything and can I have a foreign body in my rectum without any symptoms? I was holding a Bobby pin in my hand and I can’t remember where I put it, so I think it has gone into my anus or rectum, do I need to get an X-ray or any other medical imaging even though I don’t have any symptoms?

- 2020/07/10

If there was a pin in your rectum, you would feel sharp pain and there should not be any doubt. Foreign objects should not enter the rectum by, for example, sitting on something. You would have to actually insert it into the rectum. If you have a feeling of fullness in the rectum, this requires assessment to exclude a  tumour or other problem.