Question
Posted by: | 2018/09/06

Reapplication of sunscreen

Hi Dr, I realise the importance of reapplying SPF during the course of the day, however, how many reapplications would be advisable? I am referring to a "normal" office day, not being outdoor or on holiday on the beach. Thanks!

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert
- 2018/09/22

Thank you for the question and my sincerest apologies for the delay with my response. We normally receive an email notification from health24 when a question is posted but unfortunately there seems to have been a technical issue as I never received the notification.

The duration of effectiveness of sunscreen will vary between one brand to another but the general recommendation is to reapply every 2 hours even though you are not actively tanning. Office work does expose you to visible light especially from monitors that can cause damage to the skin. Considering most women wear makeup it may be more feasible to find a makeup that contains SPF or alternatively there are sunscreens in a mineral powder brush format that allows you to apply several times daily.

I hope the above has helped.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic