advertisement
Question
Posted by: Naz | 2019/07/22

Puppy swallowed piece of a corn cob

Hi there. I have a now 6 month old pitbull/boerbull puppy who swallowed a roughly 3cm corn cob about 3 months ago. We took him to a mobile vet a.s.a.p and they felt something in his gut upon inspection. They advised us to get him to another vet where he could see a doctor immediately. They x-rayed and found nothing, but they kept him for observation. 3 days later he was discharged and given the ok on his health status. Puppy was doing well for the next 3 months. Very suddenly, he started looking lethargic and not eating his food but eating grass and drinking water and the occasional vomitting. We monitored him the first 2 days but by day 3 he looked frail and scared. We immediately took him back to the vet who admitted him into their clinic. By day 2 after admission, the vet called us to say he passed a piece of a corn cob. Day 3 we went to fetch him from the vet and they showed us the piece of blackened cob and I informed the doctor who treated him that this must be the cob he swallowed 3 months ago as he never again came into contact with corn cobs nor have I bought any for my family again, and the dog is mostly inside the house and has no access to other people and animals. The vet advised me that if that were the case, my dog would have been dead long ago, shortly after consuming the piece of cob. She was adamant that this piece of cob was recently consumed by our dog, so needless to say, she didn't believe us. What I would like to know is, is it possible for corn cobs to stay inside a dog for that long? I have read other articles stating nearly the same,that their dogs had eaten a piece of cob a few months back, others a few weeks and others a few days, before it being passed either by vomit or poo. I understand that every dog and case is unique, I would just like a second opinion please. Thanking you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberVet
- 2019/07/28

We apologize for the delay in replying. 

There have been reports of foreign bodies being kept in the stomach for weeks to months before causing a problem. These are typical things like balls and toys. In my opinion, it is highly unlikely that the same mielie cob would remain  in an intestine for 3 months (due to the fact that they felt it) and only after this time cause a problem. I feel that the cob would have caused a blockage early on or would have been passed. 

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
advertisement