Question
Posted by: Amorie | 2020/01/15

Protein shake and breastfeeding

Hello, I started using the USN BLueLab 100% Whey Protein as a meal replacement for one meal during the day. I am breastfeeding and would like to know if it is safe? I did speak to a pharmacist and she seemed to think it is fine. ingredients include: Protein blend [Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Milk Protein Concentrate], Cocoa Powder, Flavouring, Sodium Chloride, Stabiliser, Non-nutritive Sweetener Blend (Sucralose, Acesulfame-K), Tolerase™ L (pH-stable lactase). Thank you for your time, Amorie

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2020/01/30

Hi Amorie,

You need an adequate intake of daily calories to produce an adequate amount of good quality milk for your baby to grow. A protein shake only replace protein and you need more than just protein in a meal ENSURE or REPLACE are better meal replacements My suggestion is that you use 3 to 4 scoops instead of the 6 scoops as recommended