Question
Posted by: Ann | 2019/02/19

Pregnant at 36 with critical platelet level and high white blood cell count

I am 36 and healthy. I went in for my 8 week checkup for my pregnancy and they ran the normal tests. I was alerted immediately and asked for another sample, which showed the same results. I am struggling to find a doctor and do not know what my results mean: Platelets- 1,765,000 WBC- 15.7 RBC- 3.37 Hemoglobin- 11.6 Hematocrit- 37.5 MCV- 111 MCH- 34.4 MCHC- 30.9 RDW- 16.3 Metamylocytes- 1 Myelocytes- 1 Eos- 1 Basos- 4 Baso (absolute)- .6 Neutrophils- 12.6 I understand this is not a full diagnosis but I am struggling to get with a hematologist and would like to know what the numbers most likely mean. They are currently offering an appointment in a month. I feel like I need to be treated ASAP. Am I overreacting to my numbers? Should I continue to try to get an earlier appointment?

- 2019/02/20

The white cell count is not particularly high for pregnancy. The platelets are reported in a way that I am not familiar with - usually they are reported as, for example 150 X 10-9. I am not sure if yours is 1765(which is very high) or 176.5 (which is normal). Your gynae should be able to help with referral.