Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2019/05/16

Please advise the dangers of working with asbestos?

My daughter is working at a factory putting together asbestos heaters. She has started coughing (a dry cough), gets nauseous at times and has not been generally well at all. She has a low immune system and takes roughly 5 days to recover from a bout of flu. She has not been given a mask. She works in the packaging section, but there are no walls in the factory according to her. Please advise on whether I should ask her to leave that work. She hasn't been this sick in a long time. She has been sick now for about 1 1/2 months (since she started there). She also reports that quite a few other workers are also coughing.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2019/05/23

Asbestos fibers when inhaled are a danger to health. Associated diseases include a scarring lung disease, scarring of the lung lining, and lung cancer.  Most countries have strict regulations regarding exposure to asbestos. Her symptoms should definitely be checked out.

1
Posted by: Wendy | 2019/05/24

Thank you so much. She gave up work there and is slowly improving. We also took her to our local GP. I will take her again if the coughing does not stop completely. Thank you also for all the time you take to answer our questions. It is much appreciated.

Reply to Wendy