Question
Posted by: JB | 2018/05/08

Pilates/yoga instructor

I struggle with anxiety and find yoga en pilates very relaxing. My current instructor (been there for about a year) can really become irritable with the class if we do not ‘perform up to standard’. That makes me tense - even when I’m not the one in her focus. I like her and I’ve made big improvements with my posture, but don’t always get the relaxation benefits I hope for. Is this kind of instruction par for the course (like your typical netball coach back in high school)? Or should I move on?

Expert ImageMeditation Expert
- 2018/05/23

Thank you for your question.

That's an interesting scenario. A yoga teacher being frustrated and projecting that onto their students. Mmmm...

Lets start with this, a Yoga Teacher should definitely not be "like your typical netball coach back in high school", which is often the issue with many yoga teachers being trained today. 3 weeks an you're a yoga teacher... please...

Yoga is the journey towards Self-Realization. And while we are all human on this journey and sure its challenging. Your teacher should be a beacon of light for you on your journey, enlightening and helping you face what lies within.

So here are my suggestions:

1. Take a look at your own projection onto the teacher becoming frustrated and explore why this brings your attention to your underlying feelings of anxiety.

2. If the teacher is actually projecting his/her own feelings onto the class then possibly find a more centered teacher, as the teacher is meant to be the role model, especially in this situation and even more especially while they are "playing the role of" Teacher.

3. Check out my online Meditation and Self-Awareness Course. Copy this URL into your browser and hit enter. https://www.integrativecoachingacademy.co.za/p/new-emotional-mastery-course

4. Call my office for a free intro session to explore how to manage your anxiety at a deeper level. 021-4185080

Warm Regards
Warren Munitz
Integrative Coaching