Posted by: Tsholo | 2017/11/23

Pigmentation as a result of sinusitis (eye and nose area)

I am a 26 year old female & recently went to a dermatologist to treat pigmentation in the inner parts of my eyes down to the sides of my nostrils as a result of itching due to sinusitis&occurring allergies, which I have suffered from all my life.I was advised to seen an ENT specialist to advise on the underlying cause as the pigmentation is a result of allergies. What are my treatment options&can I stop the itching? Thanks

Expert ImageBeyond Beauty Aesthetic Doctor
- 2017/12/19

I’m so sorry to hear that you are struggling with this problem, Tsholo. In most cases like this, the pigmentation is caused by constant scratching or rubbing or the constant use of tissue paper to wipe and blow the nose. What course of action to take as far as treatment goes, would depend on how severe the pigmentation is, so I would need to examine the area or at least see a picture to be able to advise you better. You need to remember that the pigmentation will simply re-occur as long as the trigger is still there. The ENT would most likely be able to advise you regarding the treatment and management of your sinus issue. If you can get that under control, and get the itching under control as a result, you are going to have more success in targeting the pigmentation. To start off with, I would simply advise that you begin by ensuring you are using a very good facial SPF every day, and that you are using a good pigmentation inhibiting product morning and night (something like Lamelle’s Brighter Concentrate). That will at least be a good starting point. If you are able to come and see me or one of our Doctors at the Renewal Institute, we would be able to examine the problem area and be able to advise you more specifically. You can find our branches and contact details on