Question
Posted by: | 2018/06/21

Persistent cough

Hi I started coughing and feeling fluish almost a month ago i then went to my gp who prescribed cortisone and amoxilin antibiotics. I didn't get better i actually got worse, i then went to the ER where my blood tests and x-rays revealed nothing. the doctor there prescribed a foxair pump and some sinus tablets which i had to take for about 5 days. keep in mind that i do suffer from slight asthma. I started feeling better but the cough is still here its so annoying and i can't get rid of it. I have phlegm and that's why i'm coughing but the cough also becomes dry when no phlegm comes up. I have now started a stronger course of antibiotics as well as acc200. will this help or do i need to go back to the doctor? Breathing in deeply makes me cough. I feel perfectly fine all that's bothering me is this cough also my phlegm is completely white. At my wits end.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2018/06/25

It’s good that you had a chest x-ray to exclude things like chest infections and tuberculosis.  A likely cause of your problems is a chronic post-nasal drip.  You need try something like Allercet which you can buy from a pharmacy. Your doctor can prescribe some steroid nasal spray.  There are other possibility, including acid coming up the food pipe.  I would first try treatment for post-nasal drip and then try something else.  Please discuss this with your doctor.  In the meanwhile, you can get antihistamines over the counter.  Remember, if the symptoms are still persistent, you need to seek medical care.