Question
Posted by: Dan | 2018/09/17

Persistent cough 3 months

Dry cough continues for 3 months after what appeared to be a respiratory flu virus. Tried Z-Pack twice, and I am now using Symbicort combined with Ibuprofen to control inflammation and pain in the throat and bronchial tubes. I live in California. We have endured many wildfires over the last two years. The cough /pain is worse during hot days. No heartburn, feels better after eating, and feels better at night when I lay down (cooler at night). Chest x-ray was normal. I am wondering if others in CA are experiencing anything like me (wildfires & inversion layer in high heat conditions). It feels like the tissue in my throat is damaged from the coughing. I plan to get a CT scan next.

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2018/09/19

Chronic exposure to ambient dust particles can set off symptoms of chronic cough and rhinosinusitis.  Often cough can be attributed to post-nasal drip or acid coming up the food pipe.  I will certainly try a steroid-based nasal spray (you need to get this from your doctor) and a course of antihistamines.  See if this helps.  Hopefully you are not taking blood pressure tablets that can sometimes cause cough as a side effect.  Good that your chest x-ray is clear.  If symptoms persist, see a pulmonologist.