Question
Posted by: Gavin | 2018/08/31

Paint fumes

I work at a skip company next to the spray booth and the fumes are really bad nobody gives a sh#t keep complaining nothing gets done been getting headache for ages even lasts over the weekend when I'm not there surely it carnt be legal.

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert
- 2018/09/29

Yes, it's your legal right to complain about this and see that action is taken to rectify the situation. Your employer should also inform you about dangerous substances you may come into contact with and how to protect yourself. It is indeed likely the fumes are causing or contributing to your headaches, especially if they get worse at work and and ease up when you are out of the work environment. Keep in mind there could be another cause or causes, but even if that were the case, you should not be exposed to potentially dangerous fumes. If you have an employee health and safety representative at work, you should complain via them. If you've tried and failed to get a response from your employer, then you should appeal to the Dept of Labour. I would also suggest posting your query to our Workplace Health Expert and Labour Lawyer.

1
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2018/09/24

I'm sorry to hear your complaints are not being taken seriously. The whole point of having a spray booth is to contain the fumes and reduce their effect on workers, and yes it is a legal requirement to protect all workers in terms of health and safety. It is also your right to complain. Do you have a safety representative at your work? - there should be one for every 20 employees. who you can appeal to. If there is no such person, you may need to appeal to the he department of labour. There are many possible causes for headaches, but if yours get noticeably worse around the fumes it's a likely cause, or at least one contributing factor.

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert