Question
Posted by: M | 2019/03/25

Forced resignation

Hi Doc, I have been working for my boss for more than 6 years now. Financially the company is not doing great at all and the clients we deal with can't pay. So for months, no payments have been received etc. Beginning of March my boss told me that the 29th of March will be my last day. He can't give me any package deal as there is no money and he can't fire me, I did nothing wrong. I do sympathise with the situation and I see and work with the finance so I know its not a lie. My family is pressuring me to take him to the ccma, but at this stage he is behind with all his payments and his wife has to carry their family now. I don't see how I can do that. We had a great relationship till last year. He doesn't pay my tax and uif etc. So last year hubby saw a consultant and discussed my finance aswell and the consultant reported him to Sars which caused alot of havoc as you can imagine. But now they want me to take him to the ccma. All I want to do is get out as from last year alot has changed and our relationship and atmosphere here is dull so I want to leave, I have been trying to find a new job for quite some time and have been unsuccessful till now. So for my own sanity and well being I feel the need to focus on myself again and I will continue to look for a new job etc, but my whole family is putting so much pressure on me as to why I don't take him on and how wrong he is. I believe everything happens for a reason and I am way too soft and nice to want to burn my crossing bridges. Thats probably my biggest flaw in life.

- 2019/03/26

Hello M,
Being kindly and nice is not necessarily a flaw !  Maybe you would benefit  from getting the advice of a labour lawyer.  It sounds as though your employer may not be a bad man, but maybe not a brilliant businessman, and perhaps on who unwisely cut corners at times. 
But in the old saying, you can't get blood from  a stone.  Your family may be rightfully indignant that you have not been treated fairly, and may want to punish him, and hope the CCMA could somehow get him to pay you out properly.  But if he really is broke, there may be little or nothing could give.  If one isn't cautious, as in most legal matters, it may be only the lawyers who profit. 
Such actions can be long lasting and unpleasant, even to the innocent party.