Question
Posted by: Jewel in MI | 2020/02/11

Can cough suppressant medication trap kinins in my lungs?

No longer on lisinopril 20 mg. I have a bad cough. Will the kinins be trapped in my lungs if I take a cough suppressant? Kinins are byproducts left behind because of lisinopril and must be coughed out. I have a bad cough and need to take a cough suppressant in order to be on the job working. Will the cough suppressant medication trap the kinins in my lungs?

Expert ImageCough Expert
- 2020/03/02

You are right about lisinopril and kinins in the lung.  However, these kinins usually wash out within a few days or a couple of week.  However, sometimes it can take a few months for this to occur.  The reasons for this are unclear but may include complex things like feedback loops, etc.