Question
Posted by: Dean | 2020/01/15

11-year-old Neuter

Hi, I would just like to know how save it will be to neuter an 11 year old female Foxterrier? She is in very good health currently. We just lost our 15 year old Doberman pincher to Pyometra, as she was to old to undergo the operation. And if I can prevent this now, I will, but I need to know she will be okay.

- 2020/01/21

Sterilisation is done under general anaesthesia, which always has an element of risk. The risk increases with age. That said, older dogs can still undergo surgery, but it is essential that they undergo a full physical examination, inclusive of some blood tests beforehand to make sure that there is no underlying problem which is not obvious/clearly visible. The only way to really determine whether it is safe for her to undergo the surgery will be to take her to your veterinarian for such an examination.