Question
Posted by: | 2018/01/12

Need to loose weight, but just found out I'm pregnant

Good day In the last 6 months I have seriously picked up weight, going from an average of 80 kg's since giving birth to my son up to 102 kg today in this time (I am 168cm tall, so am now obese). In mid December I decided to try doing something about my weight, but only managed to keep it stable over the holidays (I work in hospitality, so worked throughout). I am an emotional eater and had been under a lot of stress over this same time period. The fact that my 21 month old is not a good sleeper (wakes between 3-6 times a night) has not been helping and I have been struggling between working from home (my contract states I have to do a 45 hour week) and taking care of him, so I have been snacking on anything in the kitchen, craving anything that will give immediate energy, but unfortunately this has not been helping my weight. I am also not as active as I used to be as my administration work has increased and my physical work decreased. I took a pregnancy test 2 days ago as I skipped my period and it showed that I am pregnant now too, making me more determined to get healthy. Problem is that my sleep is not increasing, my work load is not going to ease (it might actually increase this year), and I need to keep my energy levels up. Any suggestions on healthy snacks I should try? I have started cutting back on my coffee and cooldrinks and am trying to drink water only already, but do not feel that is going to be enough. I live on a farm and my closest town is a small one, so it needs to be something you can find anywhere. My meals overall is usually pretty healthy (fresh veg from our garden, etc), so it is definitely the snacking that is my downside. I am considering doing 5 smaller meals instead of the 3 main meals I am currently eating. I am trying to workout more as well. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I need to get comfortable with myself again.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2018/01/17

Good day 

Thank you for your question here on health 24. From reading your story, I think the best think to do will be to contact a registered dietitian to help you with the challenge you are currently facing. You can get to choose any dietitian closer or far from you and  arrange a consultation with them. Fortunately, most dietitians do also conduct online consultations so it does not matter where they are.  There is no enough space to give a detailed advice on this plaform but also more clarity would be needed so as to give appropriate advise.  You can go to www.adsa.org.za to check for a Registered dietitian you can use. However, generally for weight loss it recommended to eat 3 healthy wholesome meals a day and only snack when HUNGRY. Low energy snacks such as cut up vegetables (Cucumber,  carrot, tomatoes etc.) with some low fat dip e.g. hummus, cottage cheese make great snacking options, low fat plain youghurts,  Fresh fruit, handful of lean (fat free)  biltong  are also great snacking options.