Question
Posted by: Antoinette | 2018/06/14

Daughter dizzy and nauseous

My daughter throws up, gets dizzy when standing up or exercising and she has lost a lot of weight. she studies in another city so I can't monitor her but she phones me a lot complaining. My daughter is a 2nd year engineering student, she trains daily and used to be a national team member in Gymnastics. She has always been very healthy and i know for a fact she does not consume alcohol. My 20 year old lives in another city but has been phoning me daily saying she thinks there is something wrong with her and the doctor she went to see says she is fine. She complains that when she stands up after sitting for a while she gets very dizzy and passed out once, she also says she can't train because only a short while on a treadmill and she gets nauseous or dizzy and can't continue although she is very fit. She also complained that she had lost an unhealthy amount of weight but she doesn't understand how because her eating patterns did not change. She also complained about being cold all the time she also complains of sleeping too much and not being able to stand up in the mornings . I confronted her and know its not pregnancy and her roommate told me that she will look out for an eating disorder but her eating patterns remained the same and they still eat together and there isn't a way she could purge without her roommate knowing since they share a bathroom plus they are together the whole time. I'm very stressed about my daughter's health and she is as well, she does drink multivitamins, an iron complex and omega 3 supplements daily and she has a diet considered very healthy, she is not vegan nor vegetarian so I doubt it's a deficiency. She is currently writing exams and she says this makes it harder for her , but I don't think it is anxiety because with her gymnastics background she thrives under pressure. Please help

- 2018/06/19

Hi Antoinette

I completely understand that you are worried and I would be too if she was my daughter. I also thought that it could be the stress of the studies and being far away from home. I wonder if it is possible for you to go and visit her? It would help her and you can go with her to the doctor. But if you cant, I still think she needs to go to a doctor for some blood tests and other basic tests, including blood pressure, blood glucose, thyroid tests and an ECG (checking the heart rhythm). Good luck and I hope that she will get better soon.