Question
Posted by: | 2019/04/01

Which sun protective agents can I use to protect my 8-year-old's skin from the sun?

My daughter loves swimming and playing outdoors and her skin is getting very dark and l don’t seem to be getting the right skin care products to protect her skin. She is 10 years and she is getting darker and darker as she is growing and l need advise on maybe sun block ranges and or skin products that can tone the skin and protect

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert
- 2019/05/24

Thank you for the question.

Your best advice would be to choose a sunscreen that is specific for children’s skin. Almost every brand today has a range that is specific for children. The one we recommend is from La Roche Posay: https://skinmiles.com/shop/brand/la-roche-posay/anthelios/.

I would also consider as much sun protection as possible including the use of hats, not being outdoors when the UV is the strongest and reapplying sunscreen several times daily.

The darker tone is nothing to be concerned about as this is the normal protection mechanism of the skin. If however she continues to get darker with the above it may be a good idea to have her examined by your family doctor to exclude any medical reasons.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Dr Alek Nikolic.