Posted by: Wayne G. | 2018/02/20

Muscular Back Pain

About 5 or 6 years ago I had a bilateral sympathectomy and ever since then I have the most excruciating muscular back pain on and around my shoulder blades. I've been to the doctor many times for this and he has simply given me medication in the form of pain tablets, anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxants. They help to a certain degree but I have to take them almost constantly. I've been for x-rays, no issues with the bones and I also go to the gym to try and strengthen the muscles but I'm still permanently on the aforementioned pain medication. Is there something else I can do? Do you think that nerves were injured with the surgery and will back exercises have any effect? I am almost constantly in pain, sometimes even wake at night from it.

- 2018/02/25

Hi Wayne

It does seem a bit strange that you have pain ever since the surgery and one is worried that a nerve might have been injured during the surgery. I suggest that you go for physiotherapy, but if you have done so already, it might be time to see a neurosurgeon. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.