Question
Posted by: Andy Berman | 2018/11/12

Metabolism

Hi how do I stop my metabolism slowing down when I stop smoking? Thanks.

Expert ImageStop Smoking Advice
- 2019/03/04

1. Exercise. Cardiovascular exercise ('cardio') is helps boosts metabolism, especially if add in include high-intensity bursts, but strength training should be included also to build muscle. Muscle uses more energy than fat, so a more muscular body tends to have faster metabolism. 
2. Eat more protein, but watch your meal portions
3. Drink more water.
4. If you have a desk job or are otherwise quite sedentary, take more frequent breaks (every half hour or so) to stand up, stretch, and potter around for a few minutes. The more physical activity you can include in your day, the better.
Keep in mind that the benefits of quitting smoking far outweigh the risk of putting on weight. On average, ex-smokers only put on around 4kg, and you can avoid this if you ramp up your exercise and watch your food intake. Also: smoking makes you more likely to put on belly fat, so quitting will help fight that.