Question
Posted by: | 2019/04/19

34-year-old son struggling with mental health issues

My 34 year old son is struggling with a mental condition we do not understand. His been to the hospital so many times but after a day or two he gets discharged. The condition has badly deteriorated, he eats from the dustbin, every morning he collects water from the tap and spray all over the house, refuses to bathe and throws away clean clothes. Please help what must we do?

- 2019/04/23

I'm sure you're right that he does have some sort of mental health problem, but then the issue is WHAT the diagnosis is.  It's surely very unlikely that  the doctors he has seen on the many hospital admissions you mention, have been negligent, so they must have assessed him carefully and made a diagnosis, and decided what form of treatment / management they recommended.  So then what would puzzle me, as apparently they then usually discharge him presumably knowing he will come back to live with you, is that I would have expected them to have contacted you to tell you their diagnosis and advice.  Maybe they have not done so because he is 34, and therefore legally adult, and may even have refused to give them permission to contact you and disclose his problems.
Maybe it'd be a good idea for you as parents to contact tho doctors, as his next of kin, pointing out that he lives with you and is dependent on you, and returns from them still  very disordered and disruptive, and you can't cop with him in the state he is in. As them to give you a much useful information as they can about the nature of his condition they have diagnosed, what treatment they have recommended as you are unable to confirm whether he ever takes it when he leaves hospital, and whether they are sure that he is in fact fit and competent to make life decisions for himself or to safely care for himself.  Ask for their advice about how best to assist and manage him at home, pointing out that this would obviously be greatly to his benefit, and could help to reduce the number of admissions he has.