Question
Posted by: Jaco | 2018/09/18

Long head bicep tendon tear

About 2 years back I tore the long head tendon of my left bicep. I never got it looked at for I had no medical aid. I am now on a hospital plan and a surgeon told me that there is only about 1 to 1.5 cm of tendon left to work with and that this is not enough to reattach that part of the bicep. My gym trainer told me that it is possible to take a piece of tendon from your hamstring and use that to fix the bicep. My questions are: 1. Is it worth going through all these procedures? 2. Are these operations quite successful? 3. If I leave it as it is, do I stand a chance to tear the rest of the bicep? Thank you so much. Jaco Smith

- 2018/09/20

The piece of bicep that is left over is indeed very little, but I think it would be best to go to a specialist that works especially with shoulder and upper limb surgery - this will be the best person to ask. Be sure to go to a highly recommended orthopaedic surgeon, not just anyone, because not all of the specialists are up to date with the latest developments. My one concern is that, because of he chronic nature of the injury, it is too late to have surgery done. Nevertheless, please go for the consultation. Good luck.