Question
Posted by: Melanie | 2019/06/17

Lonely in a small town with cancer

Good day, this year I found out I have cancer. I am a divorced 50 year old female living alone in a small town. The nearest city is a 9hour car drive. There is one town nearby. I am feeling very sad and lonely and depressed. I have been booked off sick and will return to work within a month. Also our company will be closing permanently end of this year. I have no idea what I should do then. The worst feeling is being lonely and sad. Kind regards

- 2019/06/18

Hi Melanie,
Sorry to hear about this situation, but fortunately there are various ways to get help and support. The National Cancer Association has been very useful to many, and in larger cities or more populated areas has run support groups.  But even more useful to you may be a newer organization called Cancer Buddies (www.cancerbuddies.org.za ) and their toll-free line 0800-033-337 ; and they provide counseling and support, linking someone newly diagnosed with a person who has survived a similar illness and has had some counseling training. They even have an i-Buddies system, so can offer companionship, practical advice, etc, by telephone, Whats-app, e-mail, etc. 
I'm sure they'll be able to help you, and with their assistance, you may be able to gradually plan how best to cope with the illness, treatment, and to plan how to adapt to your work and other changes.  Good luck, and do keep contact through this forum and let us know how you're getting on.