Question
Posted by: Lauren | 2019/09/11

Karbadust

I have an adult ringneck parakeet and have recently taken on a rescued baby mousebird. I would like to treat them for mites as my pet rabbit was recently treated for mites. I was wondering if it is safe to use Karbadust on the birds (I know it is not safe for bunnies), and in particular, if it is okay to use on the baby bird? He is probably in the region of 2months old now, he has already started flying. I have not seen any evidence of mites on the birds but I have noticed the baby bird grooms a fair amount and I am concerned that because he was born in the wild, and because the rabbit has had mites in the last month, that the mites have / will spread between them. I already have the Karbadust but am yet to use it as I am unsure if it is safe for the birds? Any advice will be appreciated.

- 2019/09/12

Hi Lauren. You can contact the Bird and Exotic Animal Hospital, they will be able to assist / give advice:

Contact Details

Tel: (+27)12 529 8105 
Fax: (+27)12 529 8560

info@birdandexotic.co.za