Question
Posted by: Loyiso | 2020/05/11

Itchy throat at night

I suffer from mild sinusitis and for the past six months my sleep has been hell. Every night when I close my yes attempting to sleep, my throat becomes itchy and I sneeze, choked and cough from the throat. This is sometimes made better when I cover my mouth and nose with a blanket. Sometimes I feel relieved when I have strepsils in my mouth. Could I be allergic to anything. Please help as I find it difficult to have quality sleep. I take metformin for diabetes.

Expert ImageAllergy expert
- 2020/05/28

This may not be an allergy if you haven't seen any causal relationship to a food or something in the environment. Silent gastro-oesophageal reflux (GERD) could be a trigger or Vasomotor Rhinitis. It may be beneficial to see an ENT Specialist or try anti-reflux treatment such as Gaviscon at bedtime.