Question
Posted by: Bob | 2019/06/23

Is a negative HIV test at 84 days conclusive? or can it turn positive some weeks later when there was no further exposure. I mean i didn't have seks anymore after the exposure...

I had unprotected vaginale sex with a girl i trusted. 5 weeks after the exposure i get skin rash... i did a test at 6 weeks and this was negative. Stil the skin rash stayed and i experiernced also skin rash on my head... i freaked out because it looked like seborrhic eczema. and this would define i have HIV so at 9 weeks after exposure i did another HIV test. it came back negative. Then i experienced nightsweats, fever, i was very tired and couldn't come out of bed. at 12 weeks ( 84 days) after exposure i did another HIV test. this came also back negative. We are now 3 weeks later after the last test and i still have symptoms. Like e dry cough, swollen lymph nodes in neck, tired.... My docter said the last test is conclusive.... but i stil have symptoms... so i don't know what to do now... The girl i had seks with, doesn't want to take a test because she said that she tested negative 1 week before the seks and that was 3 month after her last sexuale activity. Can you tell me what i have to do or just let it rest?

- 2019/06/26

Hi Bob
I agree that the tests are conclusive, but I do think you should investigate if you do not have another viral illness or bacterial illness causing the night sweats, etc - a full blood count should give some indication if there is an underlying viral or bacterial infection causing the symptoms that are persisting. Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon.