Question
Posted by: | 2019/06/26

Is Vitiligo hereditary?

Hi Doctor, I have a doubt regarding Vitiligo(called as "bolli" in telugu) condition. My father-in-law has vitiligo and he is 60 yrs old now. He has 2 sons and 1 daughter. Daughter is married and having two kids. None of above have this condition. Is there any chance of getting vitiligo to his sons or to his grand children in future? To say simply, is vitiligo hereditary? Thanks much, Sneha

- 2019/06/28

Yes, Vitiligo can be hereditary, but it is not always the case. Your father-in-law's condition could be due to auto-immune disease or another abnormal process of the skin cells, so it will not necessarily be passed on to the rest of his family.