Question
Posted by: | 2019/03/29

Intermittent fasting for women

My colleague(22) and I(21) have considered doing intermittent fasting 3 days a week, but we read that it is not beneficial for women. Would you recommend intermittent fasting for us? As there is also a lot of health benefits. Which is quite a catch 22.

Expert ImageThe Dietitians
- 2019/04/21

Thank you for your question.

Although there have been some positive results from some studies on intermittent fasting, to date the evidence has been inconsistent and more research is needed before more definitive conclusions can be drawn in terms of the benefits and risks of intermittent fasting.

It is also difficult to provide you with advice on this platform on whether or not intermittent fasting would be something you and your friend could consider.  I would recommend an appointment with a dietitian who will be able to carry out an assessment and provide you with individualised advice to assist you with reaching your goals.

You can visit the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA) website to find a dietitian in your area: http://www.adsa.org.za/public/findaregistereddietitian.aspx